Saturday, August 27, 2011

Everyone's Best Friend

On most days, I think that I have the best job in the world. Those hours between six and nine in the morning,when I'm on the air , are generally enjoyable. But like anyone else, there are times when the daily, mindless minutia can get the best of me. That's when I had just as soon be the guy with the shovel who follows the elephants in the circus parade. I've had several moments like that lately, but when it seems that I've reached the point that I simply would like to walk away and grab that shovel, something always happens to put everything into perspective.  Recently a friend and listener ( and I've found out that indeed my listeners ARE my friends) lost her husband. On the day that he was to be buried I got a call from her. She was, of course, in a terrible state of mind. We talked briefly and I expressed ,as best I could ,my sympathy and sorrow at her lost. I asked if there was anything I could do. She said, with her voice trembling, if I could do her a favor. And of course I said "yes, just name it." She said, "I want you to play me a song. I want to hear Keith Urban's Makin' Memories of Us". It of course includes the line. "And I'm gonna make you a promise, If there's life after this, I'm gonna be there to meet you with a warm, wet kiss." What a terrific song, what a terrific line, and sentiment. I immediately played it and for a brief moment shared her grief. And was honored to do so. It meant a lot to me that she would call me. It's at moments like this, that I realize I do indeed have the best job in the world. And the next time I want to throw up my hands and walk away, I'm going to remember this moment, when a listener and friend, made me realize how fortunate I really am. Fortunate to be everyone's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment